We drove down to the parking area for the main falls at Pedernales and walked down the path to see the river at the falls. It is kind of eerie after looking at the pictures of the river flash flooding to look up and try to figure out if you could make it back to the top in less than five minutes. I don’t think I could have! Pattie and I hung out by the natural spring while the boys explored higher upriver. When we all got back up to the top we stopped to rest and have a little snack which turned out to be very fortuitous. A nice young man on a solo hike (who we had passed on our way up) came back and asked if we were missing any keys. We were! He had found Jayme’s keys near the bottom of the steps. Thank goodness for nice people.
Pattie fell asleep on the way back to the trailer so they guys decided to go down to the swimming area without us (fine by me!). They rested up a bit first, but took a little too long and Pattie ended up waking up just as they were ready to leave. Of course she wanted to go so she and I headed out with them. In the end I was glad we went. She had so much fun and I loved watching the boys brave the rapids. The water was very cold but you got used to it pretty quickly. I only got in up to my knees but it felt really good on my poor, tired feet.
The worst part about the swimming area at Pedernales Falls State Park is that you have to climb back up the hill to go back to your campsite. 105 steps almost straight up and another fairly steep grade beyond that to the parking area. My calves were burning! But I made it to the top at last. Pattie made it to step #65 before asking to be put into her backpack. She has amazed us on this trip with her endurance.
After a beer or two with my sweetie, Pattie and I headed to the showers and when we got back to the campsite, we had visitors from down the road. They turned out to be from Van, Texas which is just down the road from us, proving once again how small the world really is. They told us about their favorite camping spots and we shared a few of ours with them. It’s one of the things we love about State Park camping; everyone is so friendly and you really can learn some great spots for future reference.
| Didn't get a great pic here, but not horrible |

No comments:
Post a Comment
I obsessively check for your comments: